<$BlogRSDUrl$>
migrateblog
in which witness is borne: birds, politics, fiction and critical art theory

chick a d d d

Sunday, March 06, 2005
today in the yard i noticed three BLACK CAPPED CHICKADEES along with the HOUSE SPARROWS. Have they been there all along and had I mistaken them for house sparrows? I don't know.
i'm working on a couple (like four) different writing projects just now, including one about the whole hospital experience, a sort of memoir of S's stay in the hospital organized by elevator floor buttons, and one which is like a remix or collage of the writings by birders on the Illinois birders' list serve.
This feels especially important to me because, now that I'm on full-time nursing duty for like the past 2 weeks, I haven't gotten to get out there and watch the earliest of the spring migrants. And so these texts from people observing out in the field are my main connection to that world. Phenomenologically they are interesting texts as well--in their attempts to capture and re-present the unrepresentable experience of seeing with one's own eyes something real and ephemeral. that's the attraction, after all.
So my question for folks reading is, would it be ethically and legally all right for me to use these texts? i'm thinking of writing to the list serve manager for permission--but i don't know if it's really her copyright. hm.
6:08 PM :: ::
2 Comments:
  • Interesting question :-) I know I've read articles where postings from listservs were quoted, but I don't know if the authors had to get permission.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:14 PM  
  • yeah, cool-i think i;ve figured out a way that works really well to remix the words used in each posting but re-combine them so that they don't make sense but you just get a feel for what it's like to be looking at birds. i'll post about this system later on.

    By Blogger mar-mar, at 1:12 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

mar-mar :: permalink