<$BlogRSDUrl$>
migrateblog
in which witness is borne: birds, politics, fiction and critical art theory

my material wants are beginning to snowball.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006
boy oh boy do i want some things. besides the car i mentioned a couple of posts ago, i now want a new pair of binoculars and a spotting scope, as well as a GPS unit and a handheld personal video player/camcorder. and do i deserve these things? as much as any industrialized-world member of the privileged classes does! which is to say, well, no.

ah, it doesn't matter. i've become one of those people who convinces themselves that they would throw themselves more passionately into their hobby if they just had THE RIGHT GEAR. how many times have we all heard THAT before? but i really think that in my case it's true! birding has become sort of a theoretical thing for me, Bahamas warblers notwithstanding--I just don't get out there like I want to, even though I live right next to a huge park! woe is me. really i'm just sort of bemoaning my restlessness in midwinter as i type confessions to my blog while my boyfriend is out watching the Grammys and probably getting to see all the cool outfits which I can't see cause we DON'T EVEN HAVE A TELEVISION.

which, yes, all right, was my decision since i am an incurable addict and will lose up to 6 hours on the couch if we had one. But still!

How dare he!

whoa. ok, the slide into materialistic self-pitiiful wallowing will hereby come to a halt. sorry everyone! smooches! (esp. to Erin!)
6:59 PM :: ::
3 Comments:
  • Well, what we want and what we deserve are quite different things :-) I want a scope myself. I admire your willpower to live without a televison -- I'm such an addict I don't think I could do it.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:32 PM  
  • To quote the Dire Straits-
    "I want my
    I want my
    I want my
    MTV"

    But here's what I really want. Just a home with lots of light, a nice yard, a big kitchen, and more than one bathroom. That's all. Okay, one more thing. I also want to travel the whole world, but not by plane. And I would like to do it before I'm thirty. The end.

    By Blogger Gourmet Grrl, at 9:01 AM  
  • No need to apologize to me dear! I am often overcome with the desire to buy many many things. It's only natural. I longingly page through the Massage Warehouse catalog and stroke the pages thinking how much I need each and every thing. Office supplies are also crack to me. Shiny sparkly metallic pens were my last purchase, because my friend Becky had some, but they ended up really sucking and hardly writing at all. But so pretty! I am just as consumer-challenged as anyone. Smooches!

    By Blogger Dutch, at 1:05 PM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

mar-mar :: permalink