<$BlogRSDUrl$>
migrateblog
in which witness is borne: birds, politics, fiction and critical art theory

several life list birds in Phoenix!

Sunday, March 26, 2006
I'm afraid I won't remember this when i get home, so here's a dispatch from the desert weekend:
GILA WOODPECKER --3
ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD -- at least 4
CURVE-BILLED THRASHER -- 1
VERDIN -- 1
BLACK-NECKED STILT--2
DOWITCHER -- at least 6
RING-NECKED DUCK -- 4
AMERICAN COOT -- 4
RED-NECKED GREBE -- 1
GREAT EGRET -- 1
GREAT BLUE HERON -- 1
GREEN-BACKED HERON -- 1
HOUSE FINCH -- at least 6
LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH -- 1
BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD -- at least 6
BOAT-TAILED GRACKLE -- common

The first 5 on the list, the Red-Necked Grebe and the Lawrence's Goldfinch are all life list birds for me. Yay! Thanks to Libby for taking me around and giving me access to all these fab birds.

It looks like the Lawrence's Goldfinch is actually the star of the bunch. They normally breed only in California, being occasional winter migrants to southern Arizona, which is where I saw this one. Thanks also to Kate for her amazing spotting abilities!
3:27 PM :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

mar-mar :: permalink