<$BlogRSDUrl$>
migrateblog
in which witness is borne: birds, politics, fiction and critical art theory

Humboldt Park birdwalk--the payoff

Monday, May 22, 2006
Boy oh boy was yesterday a good day in the park. Since we're hopefully moving northward soon, it felt like the park was giving me a farewell glimpse of all i'll be missing in Evanston. Here is a sampling of what I saw (i'll omit the common species and get right to the good parts):

1 HERMIT THRUSH
1 GREEN HERON (awesome)
1 AMERICAN REDSTART
12 COMMON YELLOWTHROATS
1 MAGNOLIA WARBLER
3 SWAMP SPARROWS
several SONG SPARROWS
several FOX SPARROWS
2 ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAKS (heart-stoppingly cool bird)
3 RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS
1 FLYCATCHER (not sure what species)

All this in one hour of walking! I love Humboldt Park. I know a couple of other birders go there, but I've never seen one. The green heron flew right over me and camouflaged himself perfectly in some foliage. People must have thought I was nuts, standing there staring into a plain old bunch of leaves for fifteen minutes without moving. I wasn't sure if he was a Little Blue or a Green. I was rewarded with another, decisive glimpse when he finally had enough of the red-winged blackbirds chasing each other around his branch and flew up to a different tree. Voila! Green heron it was.
2:22 PM :: ::
1 Comments:
  • Herons remind me of Mrs. Keller. In hushed tones she pointed out a great blue to us during the aboretum field trip.

    By Blogger Kan, at 10:12 AM  
Post a Comment
<< Home

mar-mar :: permalink